Tuesday 16 February 2016

Workshop 2

In the workshop today we were given feedback from the interview. I made note of the feedback that I personally received, but also what other's were commented on, which could benefit me too.
  • Lee made note of some students' body language. One student had their hands in pockets and made no eye-contact. This made them look uninterested and not very confident. 
  • We should ask questions to look interested in the role.
  • We should always turn negative qualities/situations into positive ones.
  • We shouldn't just talk about skills acquired in university, we should talk about our personal skills too. This is something that I need to work on as I feel like my personal qualities aren't as impressive as my academic ones. However this would be apparent to an employer if I don't mention something personal.
  • My personal feedback from Lee was that I made good eye contact with all members of the panel, which made me look enthusiastic. I also asked to repeat a question, giving me time to think about my answer.
Social Media
In this session we were also advised on how to make the most out of our social media profiles. We should make sure to have a suitable Facebook profile picture as this might be the first thing an employer sees of us.

I think that my Facebook profile is acceptable. My picture is of myself and a friend as a festival, which shows that I have a fun personality and an interest in live music. It may not be a professional photo but it demonstrates who I am as a person. I don't think it would be particularly incriminating if a potential employer saw me in this picture. Moreover my header shows me and my friends in Paris. This suggests that I am a social person, who enjoys travelling.

As media students we should also be engaged in displaying our portfolio online. We could also display our passion for media by creating a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment